October is American Cheese Month, established by the American Cheese Society to showcase North America’s delicious and diverse cheeses and the farmers, cheesemakers, and chefs who bring them to tables across the continent. To celebrate, the Ferry Building and Cowgirl Creamery will be hosting special demos and highlighting an array of cheese-centric dishes from Sunday, October 13 through Friday, October 18, 2019.
The event officially kicks off on Sunday, October 13 with a series of demos to take place throughout the Ferry Building Marketplace, including a Raclette station at Cowgirl Creamery and a pimento cheese spread with freshly-baked biscuits from Biscuit Bender. A special preview will be held the previous day at Saturday’s Ferry Plaza Farmers Market, where Pier 23 Cafe Chef Joey Altman will be onsite from 10:30 to 11:45 a.m. hosting a market to table demo. Chef Altman will be preparing Roasted Broccoli, Black Bean & Cheddar Dip featuring Point Reyes Farmstead Cheese, a farmers’ market vendor.
Other weekly specials include:
- A daily “Cheesy Hour” at Cowgirl Sidekick Café (Monday-Friday from 3:30 to 6:30 p.m.) where guests can indulge in Raclette, freshly melted and served on Acme bread with house-made pickles
- Empanadas de Queso from El Porteño Empanadas, filled with Cowgirl Creamery’s Red Hawk triple-cream cheese
- Wild Huckleberry Cheesecake from Cheesequakes, made with berries sourced from fellow Ferry Building merchant Far West Fungi
- A special wine and Cowgirl Creamery cheese pairing from Ferry Plaza Wine Merchant
- A seasonal breakfast dish from Boulettes Larder – Saffron honey Roasted delicata squash with Cowgirl Creamery cottage cheese, salted sesame seeds, and black pepper
- Organic Cheddar Cheese Grits from Chef Tanya Holland’s Brown Sugar Kitchen, with rich and creamy Rumiano cheddar cheese made in Willows, CA
- Gott’s Roadside will feature its California Burger with Cowgirl Creamery’s Wagon Wheel Cheese
- Stonehouse California Olive Oil will be sampling its La Resdora Aged Balsamic paired with Cowgirl Creamery cheese throughout the week
San Francisco Ferry Building
One Ferry Building
San Francisco, CA 94111
Sunday, October 13 through Friday, October 18, 2019; A preview will be held at the Ferry Plaza Farmers’ Market on Saturday, October 12 from 10:30 to 11:45 a.m.