PRESERVING THE HISTORY AND CELEBRATING THE FUTURE
As one of San Francisco’s most important historic landmarks, the Ferry Building was established in 1898 as a major transit hub. The building now serves as a vibrant gathering place for visitors, as well as a destination for the local culinary community.
This beloved building was constructed from gray-colored Colusa sandstone, a common turn-of-the-century building material that was mined in Northern California’s Colusa County and can be seen throughout downtown San Francisco buildings.
Our restoration project will return the building to its original gray color, using a custom blended paint intended to match the building’s original Colusa sandstone hue. In addition, we will be conducting significant repairs to the building’s façade, which has deteriorated in places due to natural weathering.
This effort will ensure the Ferry Building remains one of the city’s most enjoyed and cherished landmarks well into the future.
We hope this work inspires visitors to learn more about the Ferry Building’s history and to be part of its future. Learn about the building’s history, attend an event happening at the Ferry Building, and check back for the latest updates on this page.
THE FERRY BUILDING FAÇADE: A BRIEF HISTORY
Original Construction in 1898
The Ferry Building was completed in 1898. The exterior facade facing the Embarcadero was clad in Colusa sandstone, which was quarried at the Knowles Quarry near Sites, California. The building’s base, which is constructed of granite, was quarried at the Leahy & Turner Quarry in Victorville, California. The building’s clocktower was also originally wrapped in Colusa sandstone, while the decorative setbacks at the tower’s top were clad in painted sheetmetal. The Colusa sandstone has a greenish-grey color, and is a porous stone.
The Ferry Building was one of the few structures in downtown San Francisco to survive the 1906 earthquake. The clocktower suffered the most extensive damage and was rebuilt with a concrete exterior, and damaged stone was repaired or replaced in the lower part of the building. At that time, the clocktower was painted a lighter color than the Colusa sandstone in the lower part of the building.
Changes After 1906
At some point after 1906, the stone exterior was covered with a plaster parge coating and painted. In the 2003 building renovation, new colors were chosen for the building, which were selected to be compatible with the surrounding Port pier buildings, and to relate to the warm tones of the building’s interior. Over time, the exterior paint color faded to a blue-gray color that no longer related to the building’s historic origins.
2019 New Paint Color Selections
Hudson Pacific Properties and Allianz, in close consultation with their design consultants and the Port’s Planning and Preservation staff, selected new colors for the building that both relate to its historic roots and reflect its civic importance at the terminus of Market Street. Investigation was undertaken to uncover sections of original Colusa sandstone to use as a starting point for the new color selection. The building’s new paint color, for which Sherwin-Williams custom blended “Ferry Building Gray,” responds to the varied warm gray tones of Colusa sandstone, and will be accented by a slightly darker color for windows, trim and decorative spandrels. The new clocktower color will match the warm color of adjacent pier bulkheads to tie the building to its maritime neighbors as the crowning jewel of the San Francisco waterfront.